Friday, January 20, 2012

Snow? Maybe, possibly, but who cares! Soup time!


They are talking about snow this weekend. I shudder. Yuck. There are some great things about snow. Bundling up, sledding, snowball fights, hot chocolate and soup. One of John's favorite things in the world is a hot bowl(s) of soup. He sits and eats bowl after bowl, rarely looking up, in silence. I pack up the remaining soup in the pot into quart containers to be frozen. As I am washing the pots, John always wraps his arms around my waist and says, "Great soup, baby." and kisses my neck. This is what makes me a soup ninja. I like pleasing my man and this has pushed me to make the best soups ever. I do not give up until John says it is perfect.

Soups should not be overly complicated and should be hearty. Humble ingredients are best. Beans, kale, onions, chicken.... Enter what John and I refer to as "Grandma Chicken Soup". Both of our grandmother's made chicken soup. Same soup with one difference. His nonna had pasta and my grandmother's had matzo balls. It is so simple. Chicken, carrots, onions, celery, bay leaves, salt and pepper, pastina and wait for the kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment