Monday, February 20, 2012

Tudor Eating

I am obsessed with Tudor history. I am on my 6th book. I have read one book about Henry VIII, two about his wives, 1 about Anne Boleyn, and 1 about his mistresses. I am currently reading Food & Feast in Tudor Englan by Alison Sim. It is fantastic. I highly recommend it if you have any interest in being as nerdy as me. I went through a Roman history phase and read everything I could get my hands on that was written about on in the first century BCE to 4 century CE. Funny how I moved into English history.

This past summer we vacationed in England and Scotland. It was fantastic. There we are in front of Westminster Abbey. After a week in London, we left for Cambridge. I could not justify paying to enter to just lay eyes on the badge that has Hank and Anne's initials. Funny enough, in Italy they charge you for museums and the churches are free. In England, they charge you for churches and the museums are free. I cannot decide how I feel about that. It seems wrong on so many levels. I saw the queen's jewels, saw where Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard had their heads lopped off and visited a bunch of famous dead people (of which no photography was allowed. How lame is that?)

On to Liverpool...we visited the official Liverpool FC store. People, you have no idea. Beatles tour, which was awesome, curry dinner and off to York. York is lovely. We had a proper tea at Betty's. It was spectacular. I know that British food is not Henry VII style, but we loved our English breakfast of eggs, beans, sausage and toast. The kids had tea and Sev stuck his pinkie out with style. We were so close to Hadrian's Wall that I forced John to travel 30 minutes out of his way to see it. Please people! I cannot travel here and not lay eyes on Hadrian's wall. That would be shameful. Just as John was losing his patience, he pull down some road and bam! there it was. So gorgeous, no?

Off to Scotland. Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aryshire, just to name a few. That is another post. England and Scotland are lovely. I am eager to go back. English food is delicious. Don't say it is because I am half English. Times have changed. Yet, what I would give to go back in time to the 16th century. Henry VIII survived on a diet that consisted of 80% protein, 15% alcohol, 5% fruit. Just to witness that kitchen and to taste that bread. I have always said that I would do almost anything to be deposited back to Rome in the 1st century. It is close. My next book is a beast. Elizabeth I by Alison Plowden. I love to stroll through history. We need to get on that time machine technology. Stat.




No comments:

Post a Comment