Wednesday, September 12, 2012

R Months = Oysters

The weather has definitely taken a dip.  I woke up the other morning and assuming it was another warm summer day took the dogs for a walk in flip flops.  The air was cool on my arms and toes.  I look forward to the season's changes, but being in the "ice cream" business, I always worry.  The cooling temperatures are challenging, but I love wearing sweaters and we can drink hot chocolate and eat soup.  Fall means apples, pears, quince, pumpkins and black walnuts for gelato and sorbetto. It is a good thing.

John's birthday was yesterday and it was not the usual affair.  He requested (at my insistence, as the "honey, I don't care what you make, as long as we are all together..." line was not cutting it.  Choose motherfucker, so I can get to work) gnocchi and a red velvet cake.  I could not find red food coloring.  Living in Philadelphia limits my shopping options.  I have Whole Foods and corner stores in my neighborhood.  Neither carries red food coloring. I had to drive to the burbs for it.  Additionally, it was "back to school" night, Manny had soccer practice and Michaela had a soccer game.  Not a whole lot of time to bake a cake and make gnocchi.  By 5:45 it became apparent that I could not get it done.  I called John.  "Oysters."  That is all he said.  "Oysters."

Sansom Street Oyster House.  We ordered Kusshi, Fanny Bay and Little Shemogue oysters.  3 dozen.  We each had 2 Bulleit old fashions, and a bowl of clam chowder.  I love this restaurant.  The oysters are excellent, the drinks are excellent, our waitress was excellent and it is really a beautiful space.  Big and square, yet it manages to feel warm and quirky.  The walls are painted brick and covered with antique oyster plates.  We bumped into old friends, who live around the corner from the restaurant.  They are there often. He stated that he imagines that the plates came from some old woman's collection.  I added that she had a drawer filled with small silver oyster forks, that she polished once a week.  I think I may have to add oyster plates to my obsessive mind.  Ebay, here I come....


John and I stepped from the warm oyster house into the cool early fall night air.  We were going to walk home, but realized how exhausted we were.  The old fashions were clouding our heads and our feet seemed so heavy.  It was a nice birthday dinner.  Sev returns at the week's end from his camping trip.  I will make gnocchi and red velvet cake.  Fall is good.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete