Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Philly Magazine and CapoGranola


So, yeah.... I am incredibly awkward. I hate having my picture taken. Possibly because I am vain and I will constantly stare at my pictures focusing on the dozens of my imperfections. Do you? I cannot seem to help it. I prefer to look at my pictures and just smile and mentally bring myself to the moment the shutter snapped, me behind it. I love looking at my kids and their smiles and my husband and his exaggerated expressions and even all those pictures of food. But me? No thanks. If I am featured, I cannot help, but stare at the crooked tooth. Yuck.

When Philadelphia Magazine called and asked me to be a part of February's "The Celebrity Chef Diet" I agreed. I love Philly Mag. They asked for a pic and I sent them my headshot. I heard back. "Steph, we love your picture, but we are going to do something different. Can you make it in for a pic?" Run a marathon, sure, take my picture? Gulp.....So there I was, standing on a big white platform in my running gear trying to look "normal". The poor editor and photographer tried to get me to look more natural, not to smile so hard, to be 'lighter'. It was close to impossible. All the other chefs were watching and my inner dork was screaming. The photographer tried to ease my unease and sent compliments over. Thanks, man, but I cannot relax. "Why?" he asked. "Because I just feel awkward and uncomfortable. Like I am about to fart really loud." Everyone laughed and funny enough, my bottom lip stopped shaking and he was able to take the pic. So embarrassing. I am such a geek.

That said, our amazing CapoGranola was featured in the article. We have received a ton of requests for the recipe. Here it is. I eat it almost every morning.




CapoGranola
makes 6 servings

6 cups rolled oats (not the quick cook kind)
2 1/4 cups pepitas
2 1/4 cups sliced almonds
2 1/4 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
pinch salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup honey
1 cup dried cranberries

1. Preheat oven to 350, and place a rack in center of oven. Combine oats, pepitas, almonds, coconut and salt in a large bowl and mix.
2. Melt butter and honey together in a small saucepan over medium low heat, stirring until combined and bubbling slightly.
3. Pour butter mixture over oat mixture. Toss with a spatula until dry ingredients are evenly coated.
4. Pour mixture in an even layer onto a sheet pan lined with a Slipat.
5. Bake 10 minutes, the rotate pan and stir granola to ensure even cooking. Bake another 10 minutes until granola is a dark golden brown and crispy. Remove from heat and cool completely.
6. Transfer cooled granola to an airtight container. Break into pieces, add dried cranberries and mix will.

Keeps for weeks in an airtight container.

If this is too much, we sell it at Capo. I love granola.

No comments:

Post a Comment